Ryan Womack, Data Librarian
New Brunswick Libraries
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Alexander Library, 169 College Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1163 USA
Tel: (848) 932-6107 Fax: (732) 932-1101
e-mail: rwomack at rutgers.edu
E-mail me to set up an in-person consultation.
CV in html or pdf format.
Since 2013, I serve as Data Librarian for the Rutgers University Libraries. Prior to this, I was Data and Economics Librarian, and prior to that, Business and Economics Librarian. Since 1999, I have been a member of the library faculty of Rutgers University-New Brunswick. I was granted tenure and promoted to the rank of Librarian II in 2005. I hold an M.A. in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania, an M.S. in Library Science from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and an M.S. in Statistics and Biostatistics from Rutgers University-New Brunswick.
As of 2015, I serve as Head of the Research and Content Department in the New Brunswick Libraries, overseeing a unit that develops and implements research services and creates resources to support the researchers of the Rutgers community in New Brunswick, including teams focused on Graduate Services, Content, Research Data Outreach, Scholarly Communication, and Research Spaces.
My roles as Data Librarian encompass both public services for data and research data management. On the New Brunswick/Piscataway campus, I am responsible for data collections and Data Services, including acquisition of data sources, development of research guides, outreach and training for data, assisting students and faculty, and providing support for quantitative research across a range of disciplines. I am also responsible for the Libraries' Secure Data Facility. I am particularly interested in developing and supporting data literacy and statistical literacy.
With respect to research data, I work with researchers to provide guidance on data management and data sharing, and provide numeric and statistical data expertise to projects of RUcore. I was the leader of the RUresearch Data Team from 2011 to 2016.
I am also the subject specialist for and liaison to the Department of Economics, and the Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics. I manage the Libraries' collections, give instructional sessions, and help researchers and students locate information in these disciplines.
For the latest in data news, read and subscribe to my RyanData blog at RyanData.wordpress.com. I also maintain the Libraries' research guide for Data and for Economics.
This page highlights major publications. See the CV links above for complete and current publication details.
Selected Peer-reviewed Articles
- Ryan Womack, “ARL Libraries and Research: Correlates of Grant Funding”, The Journal of Academic Librarianship, volume 42, issue 4, 2016.
- Ryan Womack, “Research Data in Core Journals in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics”, PLoS ONE, volume 10, issue 12, 2015.
- Ryan Womack, “Data Visualization and Information Literacy”, IASSIST Quarterly, volume 38, issue 1, 2014, pp. 12-17.
- Ryan Womack, "The Orientation and Training of New Librarians for Business Information", Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, volume 13, issue 3, 2008, pp. 217-226. Preprint in RUcore
- Ryan Womack, "Information Intermediaries and Optimal Information Distribution", Library and Information Science Research, vol. 24, no. 2, 2002, pp. 129-155. Preprint in RUcore
Selected Additional Publications
- Mei Ling Lo, Li Sun, Ryan Womack, Connie Wu, and Tao Yang. "Celebrating Diversity, Welcoming the World: Developing Chinese Webpages at Rutgers University Libraries, 2009. CALA Occasional Papers Series, no. 5, June 2009.
- Ryan Womack (Editor), Success by the Numbers: Statistics for Business Development. Chicago: Reference and User Services Association of the American Library Association, 2005. (RUSA Occasional Paper, number 28).
- Ryan Womack, "High Speed, High Price, High Demand: Business Internet Resources and Databases in American Academic Libraries", Proceedings of Central Asia 2002: Internet and Library, Information Resources in Science, Culture, Education, and Business, Bukhara, Uzbekistan, October 2002, pp. 37-41.
- Ryan Womack, "Enhancing Understanding Through Data Visualization", Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton, NJ, De-
cember 5, 2016.
- Ryan Womack, "Putting Reproducibility into Practice: Workflows and Case Studies", Rutgers Workshop on Reproducibility
in Experimental and Computational Science, Piscataway, NJ, October 10, 2016.
- Ryan Womack, "(a bit about) Data Visualization", ICPSR Biennial Meeting, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, October 2, 2015.
- Ryan Womack, "Hands-On Big Data", IASSIST Annual Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, June 2, 2015.
- Ryan Womack, “Data Visualization and R”, IASSIST Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada, June 3, 2014.
- Ryan Womack and Harrison Dekker, “Introduction to R”, IASSIST Annual Conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 31, 2011.
- R workshops at Rutgers are offered to students and faculty across the University, from a wide range of science and social science departments. Topics include statistical functions, graphics, data manipulation, data visualization, time series, and survival analysis. See my R page for workshop materials.
- Senior Personnel, "Virtual Data Collaboratory – A Regional Cyberinfrastructure for Collaborative Data
Intensive Science", 2016-2020 ($4 million National Science Foundation Grant to develop a Virtual Data
Collaboratory (VDC) for state of the art data-intensive computing, storage, and networking solutions,
federated with an innovative interdisciplinary data services layer, across multiple universities in New
Jersey and Pennsylvania)
- Co-Principal Investigator, "Research and Instructional Support Across Disciplines: Data Services", 2009-2010 ($60,000 Academic Excellence Fund Grant to develop data services capacity on the Rutgers-Newark campus)
- Member, Video Mosaic Collaboratory project team, 2009-10 , ($3 million National Science Foundation Grant to develop video archive and analytic tool for Rutgers Graduate School of Education collection of mathematics instruction recordings)
- Co-Principal Investigator, Virtual Collaboratory for Food, Nutrition and Business Information, 2004-2008, (Rutgers course and web portal, funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service Higher Education Challenge Grants Program)
I am an active member of IASSIST (the International Association for Social Science Information Service and Technology), serving as Secretary of the Association from 2015 to 2019.
On the national level, I was once active in the Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS) of the American Library Association, including a term as Chair.
See my CV for further details of local activity.
last updated: 2018-03-20